martes, 21 de septiembre de 2010

nly don't want to be

ignorance of her appearance. She pointed to the silver looking-glass
that stood
on a small table, and said: "Mrs. Hillier, just look at that. I fancy
you've put something on your face by mistake. Do forgive me!" Mary gave
a shriek. "Good heavens, how horrible! I must have put rouge on instead
of powder! I look like a comic actor!" Both of them laughed, and this
rather cleared the air. "It was very good of you to tell me," said
Mary. "Thank you. It's
so like me! When I'm agitated I become too appallingly
absent-minded for words. That's the sort of thing I do. How you must
sneer--I mean, laugh at me, Mrs. Kellynch!" "Indeed not! What
an idea. It could happen to anyone."
"Well, I came to see you for two reasons. One is this:
Mrs. Kellynch, I want to beg your pardon. I'm very, very sorry." "For
what, Mrs. Hillier?"
"For many things. I was horribly rude--I behaved shamefully at my party
the other day. I must have been mad. I was so miserable." She said this
in a low voice.
Bertha held out her hand. The poor girl--she was not much more--looked
so miserable, and had j

No hay comentarios: